Topic: UFC 297

UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,681
  • Post Score: 46

10.04.2023 | 3:02 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 297
  • Saturday 01.20.2024 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Scotiabank Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,898,695
  • Attendance: 18,559
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Sean Strickland   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Raquel Pennington   defeats   Mayra Bueno Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Mike Malott   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:45 Round 3 of 3, 14:45 Total Bout Page
Chris Curtis   defeats   Marc-André Barriault   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Movsar Evloev   defeats   Arnold Allen   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Garrett Armfield   defeats   Brad Katona   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sean Woodson   defeats   Charles Jourdain   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ramon Taveras   defeats   Serhiy Sidey   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gillian Robertson   defeats   Polyana Viana   via KO/TKO, Ground Strikes From Back Mount   3:12 Round 2 of 3, 8:12 Total Bout Page
Sam Patterson   defeats   Yohan Lainesse   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:03 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jasmine Jasudavicius   defeats   Priscila Cachoeira   via Submission, D'arce Choke   4:21 Round 3 of 3, 14:21 Total Bout Page
Jimmy Flick   defeats   Malcolm Gordon   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   1:17 Round 2 of 3, 6:17 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 13

AJBO
AJBO
  • Predictions:  7,902  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,172
  • Post Score: 237

12.23.2023 | 8:40 PM ET

@foppa420 and others

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 654th

@foppa420 
Yeah - absolutely. I just wanted to offer some information as Dricus doesn't address his personal life too much, especially his relationships and I wouldn't fault some people for genuinely believing the nonsense. Also like
@DamienHandel420 
is saying I feel like some people just don't get the cultural differences at all. It's particularly funny to me as someone who's seen the last five or so women he's dated in the past few years. Not looking to argue - just offering some facts for those that may be interested.

"Dit maak nie saak hoe vinnig 'n leun versprei nie, die waarheid sal altyd inhaal."

Golden Snitch
Golden Snitch
  • Predictions:  22  |  77.3%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: -250

12.24.2023 | 2:35 PM ET

Malott is a lock to beat Magny 🇨🇦
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 6 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 19 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  461  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  971
  • Post Score: 157

12.25.2023 | 11:40 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2566th

I'm so torn on Allen/Evloev. I think Allen has the slight striking advantage although Evloev can definitely hang with him there. Evleov's wrestling and how well Allen defends the takedowns is where things get tricky. Allen did really well at defending takedowns when he fought Lentz, but Evloev's wrestling is much better than that.

* Edited at 12.25.2023, 11:42 AM ET *

"My balls was hot"

VicStrk
VicStrk
  • Predictions:  3,158  |  69.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,619
  • Post Score: 208

12.25.2023 | 1:33 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 150 Points   |   Tied for 5455th

I had some thoughts about the main event over christmas. Going to put them here.

Strickland's style and defense seems to be a nightmare for snipers and technicians and the only people that had sucess against him for a while now were opponents that have crazy power (Poatan) or pressure to walk him down (cannonier) (Abus in round 1). If you let Strickland walk you down and decide the rhythm of the fight you are going to get jabbed in the face for five rounds because he is a momentum fighter and he will never get tired fighting like that.

As soon as the fight starts Dricus is going to be in strickland's face charging him like a Bull, putting on crazy pressure, and unlike Abus he is not gonna gas out in one round. Dricus also has power because he managed to crack whittaker with a jab to then follow up and swarm him for the win. The way I am envisioning the fight strickland is gonna get walked down for the majority of the fight trying to start his offense and getting stopped by Dricus volume, pressure and takedown attempts.

HOWEVER I am not gonna completely count Sean out and I hope Dricus does not either. Counting out the guy that delivered the most crazy upset win ever is asking for disaster to happen.

"This is a rat race...but I’m not a rat. I’m a f*ckin’ turtle, ninja turtle. So which one is your favorite? I like Michelangelo....next question - Tony Ferguson"

Theeraser
Theeraser
  • Predictions:  2,259  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,057
  • Post Score: 144

12.25.2023 | 8:06 PM ET

JASMINE vs PRISCILA

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 1356th

Priscila has no takedown defense and no jiu jitsu she’s a pure standup fighter you can’t be a pure standup fighter with no takedown defense it just won’t take you far Jasmine is a sloppy striker but gets a lot of control time in her fights her takedown setups aren’t great but should be enough to get Priscila down no finish here just a UD win for Jasmine

"Too much wine "

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  181
  • Post Score: -7

12.26.2023 | 3:33 PM ET

Early predictions

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 240 Points   |   Tied for 3783rd

Strickland vs. Du Plessis
Going to go with Strickland here. I know he doesn't have the power of Du Plessis, but he does have a champion mindset and he has one of the best gas tanks in the division. I can see Strickland weathering the early onslaught and dominating as soon as Du Plessis gasses out. It would likely be a decision win for Strickland, but it would be epic to see Du Plessis knocked out cold 🥶.

Pennington vs. Bueno Silva
I will take Bueno Silva by decision. I think this is one of the worst championship fights ever as they are both undeserving of the title. I think Raquel is awful and on her way out, so I will take my chances with MayRA 💊.

Magny vs. Malott
Give me Malott here, he is younger, stronger and more tenacious. Magny's days in the UFC are numbered. Malott by submission 💪.

Reyes vs. Ulberg
This is a tricky fight. Ulberg should win this fight, but Reyes will go for broke and could potentially knock Ulberg out. This fight has all the makings of a parlay buster and I might consider skipping this one. This is a low confidence pick with black jag 🐆.

Allen vs. Evloev
Possibly fight of the night. I am predicting Evloev to win by submission in round 3. I think Allen is a great fighter and his youtube channel is pretty good, but I can't see him getting though Evloev 🇷🇺.

Katona vs. Armfield
I am not a fan of either, but I believe Katona will wrestle **** Armfield to a decision win 🤼‍♂️.

Curtis vs. Barriault
I am on the fence with this one, the matchmakers nailed it with this one. I think Curtis is a great fighter, but I don't see him getting past Barriault. I think Curtis is getting old and will likely get chinned 💥.

Jourdain vs. Woodson
This one is going to be battle. Woodson's range will be too much for Jourdain, I can see Woodson picking him apart with calf kicks and punching combinations throughout the fight and catching him with a knee. Jourdain is tough, but his lack of range will result in a loss 😬.

Sidey vs. Taveras II
I am not sure why we all need to see this fight again. I get that it was the Contender Series, but I don't see it being any different. Give me Sidey all day 🙃.

Robertson vs. Viana
Both fighters will look to redeem themselves after their recent losses. However, I will take my chances with Robertson as she has home crowd advantage with more to prove 🇨🇦.

Jasudavicious vs. Cachoeira
I am going with Jasudavicious here only because of her superior wrestling. Cachoeira is a dog and will try to make the fight ugly, but I see Jasudavicious taking it to the ground and winning by submission if the opportunity presents itself 🤼‍♀️.

Lainesse vs. Patterson
Not a fan of either, but Lainesse does have some power and Patterson is chinny, so I am predicting a knockout here 👊.

Gordon vs. Flick
Both fighters are garbage, but I think Gordon has a slightly better chance of winning 🗑.

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  860  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 68

12.26.2023 | 5:48 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 1964th

Katona vs. Armfield
Brad Katona, DEC
Katona just has much more experience and he knows how to win on the cards. Wouldn't be mad if he lost because he's a nerd.

Jasudavicius vs. Cachoeira
Jasmine Jasudavicius, TKO, R3
Cachoeira relies on landing one or two big punches but Jasudavicius is a dawg with a hell of a chin. Jasudavicius is gonna push the pace and wear Cachoeira out.

"He's Terrence Thornton, I'm Terrence Crawford, yeah i'm whooping feet"

depmode33
depmode33
  • Predictions:  248  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,384
  • Post Score: 182

12.27.2023 | 3:10 AM ET

For everyone going with Arnold Allen, what is his best path of victory for this fight?
_Vis_
_Vis_
  • Predictions:  621  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  367
  • Post Score: 87

12.27.2023 | 5:14 AM ET

Going with Allen

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 1554th

@depmode33 
Not sure, though despite being primarily a striker, he is well rounded enough everywhere that I see him being just a pain in the ass for Evloev to deal with, especially since Evloev mainly wins fights through control. Throughout nearly all of his bouts, Allen has been the noticeably faster striker and I think he can use his speed, power, and superior striking technique to overwhelm Evloev, forcing the takedowns. Arnold may be able to defend the TD's, but if taken down he can threaten with his arsenal of front chokes, of which Evloev has proven susceptible to (Grundy and Lentz fights). By his own admission even, Evloev doesn't have great bjj defense (he isn't proactive in shutting down sub atttempts, but he can work his way out of them very well), so I think the optics will be in Allen's favor. Provided his gas tank holds up, he can take at least 2 rounds off of Evloev who isn't a finishing threat. Also, he's big, strong and hates spending time on his back

Best bet is probably o2.5 rounds for this

* Edited at 12.27.2023, 5:28 AM ET *

DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  461  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  971
  • Post Score: 157

12.27.2023 | 12:28 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2566th

@depmode33 
I'm 50/50 on that fight, but Allen's path to victory would be stuff the majority of the takedowns or at least pop back to his feet quickly. Then on the feet he is going to have to put some damage on Evloev's face to sway the judges. Ige and Lopes both had Evloev hurt when trading early on, so I think Allen can dish out some punishment on the feet if he can keep it there.

"My balls was hot"

tkr8600
tkr8600
  • Predictions:  450  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  117
  • Post Score: 74

12.27.2023 | 2:59 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 1271st

Reyes vs. Ulberg
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
PRAYING FOR A REYES COMEBACK HERE. I COULDN'T GET IT W/ TONY SO LET ME GET IT FOR DOM PLZ MMA GODS! But this is gonna be painful, I already know it. Ulberg by vicious RD 1 or 2 flat-line KO.

Curtis vs. Barriault
Chris Curtis, TKO, R3
Love watching some Curtis boxing technique. Can't stand him personality wise, but as a fighter, his technique is intriguing as a fight fan to watch for me. I see this going into the later rounds & Curtis getting himself a late TKO finish. Barriault's losses in the UFC are not against good competition either.

Gordon vs. Flick
Malcolm Gordon, TKO, R1
Pretty good finishing potential from both here. Flick def doesn't have the power to KO Gordon on the feet here so theres no worry about that here. Gordon, though, does not want to go to the ground w/ someone like Flick & if it happens, its gonna spell a lot of trouble for him for sure.

Lainesse vs. Patterson
Sam Patterson, SUB, R2
Patterson has some good sub wins. I don't like the KO losses Yohan has in his career tho

Jourdain vs. Woodson
Charles Jourdain, DEC
I can def see that reach on Woodson giving Jourdain some problems, but I just think he has more to work with in this scenario. Good betting pick would be for this to see the score cards though.

Jasudavicius vs. Cachoeira
Jasmine Jasudavicius, DEC
Hard to say tbh but Jasmine's losses on paper ain't too bad, really. Losing to N. Silva & T. Cortez isn't something to be ashamed of considering how their careers are going right now. Cachoeira always has that KO power tho.

"We Fall, But We Get Up Because The Ground Is No Place For A Champion." - Dustin Poirier

tkr8600
tkr8600
  • Predictions:  450  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  117
  • Post Score: 74

12.27.2023 | 3:25 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 1271st

Strickland vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, SUB, R2
I see this going so many damn ways & god is this difficult to predict. But it all depends on one thing: if it's true that the recent nose surgery has aided in Du Plessis' gas tank issues. It seemed true in the Whittaker bout but all will be told here if it gets into the later rounds. I can definitely see Strickland taking this to the 4th & 5th, dragging Dricus into deep waters & making him feel every ounce of that pressure & getting a late finish or brutal FOTY contender DEC. But I feel Dricus has way more ways to win here than Sean in all honesty. He can take him to a DEC victory if the surgery has helped & if he manages his cardio well throughout the fight. He also has the power to knock Sean on his ass at any point in the fight as well. But what people aren't talking about & what I def see happening a bit here is grappling from both. There are rumors from Ankalaev & others that Sean's wrestling is mad underrated in the training rooms & we are yet to see of that except in some tid-bits from Instagram posts. But, even though he is a kickboxer, Du Plessis' has madly underrated jiu-jitsu & wrestling & I think that is going to shine through in this fight when he's fresh & ready to go. Dricus Du Plessis via RNC in the 2nd RD to become the Middleweight Champion of the World.

Mayra Bueno Silva, SUB, R1
Easy sub here for Bueno Silva. At least she'll be a WMMA champ w/ some finishing potential & not half-bad decent fights. RD 1 or 2 SUB I'd predict here. Pennington could edge out a DEC win here but highly doubt it. Her record is a joke, let's be real.

Allen vs. Evloev
Movsar Evloev, DEC
I just see Allen getting wrestle ****** here but would love for him to pull off the win, he has some fun scraps. Could see him stuffing a takedown tho or countering a shot for a takedown & taking a win via TKO in the 2nd or 3rd. But an easy safe one would be Evloev via DEC.

Magny vs. Malott
Mike Malott, SUB, R1
Poor Magny lmao. A literal stepping stone for these studs up & coming. EASY 1st RD SUB here for Malott without question.

Katona vs. Armfield
Brad Katona, DEC
110% a Katona DEC here. No doubt.

Robertson vs. Viana
Gillian Robertson, SUB, R2
RD 2 sub for sure here for Robertson. She ain't half bad & that grappling match against Namajunas is a good win to have. Update: wholy **** 100% finish rate here for Viana. Don't be shocked to see her pull the upset, but feel like Gillian has faced better opponents over her career especially in the UFC.

"We Fall, But We Get Up Because The Ground Is No Place For A Champion." - Dustin Poirier

J00bear99
J00bear99
  • Predictions:  1,578  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 38

12.27.2023 | 10:19 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 86th

Mayra Bueno Silva, DEC
damn...I could be pretty certain on Silva.

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  860  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 68

12.28.2023 | 2:23 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 1964th

Lainesse vs. Patterson
Sam Patterson, DEC
I think Lainesse is very live for success in the stand-up however he will spend most of this fight on the ground.

"He's Terrence Thornton, I'm Terrence Crawford, yeah i'm whooping feet"

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  181
  • Post Score: -7

12.28.2023 | 5:00 AM ET

Strickland 💯

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 240 Points   |   Tied for 3783rd

Sean is a TANK 💪

* Edited at 12.28.2023, 5:33 AM ET *

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

12.28.2023 | 8:17 AM ET

ARNOLD-MOVLOEV has decision written all over it.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Theeraser
Theeraser

12.28.2023 | 3:36 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Jourdain vs. Woodson
Charles Jourdain, TKO, R2
Woodson is a good overall fighter but his flaws are having no real pop in shots and not having a great chin everywhere else he’s pretty decent but here’s why he gets koed jourdain throws a lot of leg kicks and that’s already going to be a problem for woodsons long legs on top of that jourdain just pushes a pace like chito that gets worse as the fight goes on i think Jourdain lands a head kick or right cross and drops woodson Jourdain finishes it up with ground strikes

"Too much wine "

Theeraser
Theeraser

12.28.2023 | 6:04 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Lainesse vs. Patterson
Yohan Lainesse, TKO, R1
Patterson got ******* killed his last fight Yohan is a can but hits hard no bet here

"Too much wine "

Theeraser
Theeraser

12.28.2023 | 6:20 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Gordon vs. Flick
Malcolm Gordon, TKO, R1
another easy win for the home team flick is very breakable and Gordon throws fast and hard shots doesn’t have great takedown defense but has good jiu jitsu to get back to his feet i see him throwing a clean right hand that drops flick finishes by hammer fists

"Too much wine "

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,816  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,618
  • Post Score: 262

12.28.2023 | 7:25 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 445 Points   |   Tied for 362nd

Both Dricus and Strikland are at the top of the diversion because even though they’re technique aren’t the prettiest, they’re know why they’re doing it, mix with some of the best game plan, we need to respect them as fighter even if they’re ugly technically, it functions is good.

That the main reason Strikland schooled Izzy for 5 rounds and Dricus won round 1 and finish Whitaker in round 2. Both were doing the correct thing even agaist 2 of the best middleweight ever 

Interested to see what gameplan they do for this fight. 

* Edited at 12.28.2023, 7:28 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Page 13

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Tyson Vs. Paul Postponed
  • MMA Mania : Video! Costa Fails Bizarre Twerk Lesson
  • Middle Easy : UFC 302 Faceoffs: Dustin Poirier’s Final Stand Against Islam Makhachev: ‘The Talk Is Done’
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing fight postponed due to medical advice
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 final faceoffs: Watch Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier’s tense staredown
  • UFC.com : Mickey Gall Is Back And Better Than Ever
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 faceoff video: Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa final staredown for co-main clash
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 faceoff video: Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier meet for final time before title fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul boxing match postponed
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! Makhachev, Poirier Share Intense Faceoff
  • Bad Left Hook : Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson postponed due to medical issue
  • UFC.com : Bassil Hafez Is Here To Stay
  • Jits Magazine : Kody Steele Gets His Shot On Dana White’s Contender Series
  • UFC.com : Jake Matthews: Big Crowd Equals Big Performance
  • MMA Junkie : Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Muslim Salikhov added to UFC Fight Night event on July 13
  • MMA Mania : Islam Makhachev, Khabib’s protege and pound-for-pound king | UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Diaz vs. Masvidal undercard to feature boxing legend’s son
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Embedded, episode 5: ‘You better get f*cking lucky’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 302 Ceremonial Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Michal Oleksiejczuk: Kevin Holland fight at UFC 302 is 'a very good opportunity for me'